The choice of which bumper plate to bring into your home or commercial gym is an important one. These inanimate objects, standard in weight and relative dimension, vary greatly in their overall performance and durability. Again Faster is here to help you choose the types of bumper plates that are best for you, whether you're a competitive weightlifter, garage gym warrior, or commercial gym owner. There are many variations of rubber bumper plates but we will focus on four high-quality bumper plate options that suit most applications.
Before we go into the weight plates, it's worth taking a step back and identifying what makes the RIGHT type of bumper plate for you and your situation and what makes a GOOD bumper plate, period.
- Weight and Thickness - Important because it affects how well the plate will hold up over the course of thousands of lifts and drops. Thicker weights take up more space and fewer can fit on a bar. Thinner weights are denser and bounce less.
- Construction Material - Important for the amount of use you will put them through. All the bumpers we will review are made of dense rubber, offering lower noise levels than iron plates. But the difference in rubber types affects cost and longevity.
- Brand Reputation - Again Faster has been making fitness equipment since 2006 and has our products dialed in. For some consumers, economical bumpers may be attractive but the construction is not proven and you may waste time later on with warranties and broken plates just because you wanted to save money upfront.
- Plate Design - A small design component of a beveled edge can make moving weights around much easier. The construction material makes plates stack higher than others and others lower so you can get more on a weight stack. And just as I mentioned earlier, the thickness can affect how much can be loaded on a bar or machine.
- Warranties - Defects happen and unforeseen problems can come up. We are dealing with weights, after all. Most of which are dropped or slammed on the ground repeatedly in classes.
Let's dive into our selection of bumper plates and decide which bumper plate is right for your needs.